1hr 2min prep: 11min cook: 51min
Is it a side or a salad? It doesn’t matter; this combination of sweet potatoes, rice and tangy Granny Smith apples is delicious!Notes:
- Wild rice could be substituted for the brown rice. This is refreshing served chilled, but is equally as good at room temperature.
- Apples, Granny Smith — 2
- Celery Stalks — 2
- Red Onion — 1⁄4 Cup
- Sweet Potato, Medium — 2
Dry Goods & Packaged Goods
- Brown Rice — 1 Cup
Spice & Baking
- Black Pepper — 1⁄4 Teaspoon
- Garlic Powder — 1⁄4 Teaspoon
- Kosher Salt — 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Condiments, Oils & Dressings
- Apple Cider Vinegar — 1⁄4 Cup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil — 1⁄4 Cup
- Water — 2 Cups
- Stove Top — 2
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowl, Large
- Mixing Bowl, Small
- Saucepan, Medium (2-4 QT) — 2
- Finely dice red onion. Place in a large bowl.
- Slice the celery stalks. Add to onion.
- Core and dice apples. Add to onion and celery.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes. Place in medium saucepan.
- Put rice in another medium saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil.
- Fill saucepan with sweet potatoes 2/3 full with water. Bring to a boil.
- Once rice is boiling, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for [20 minutes]. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes. Place in large bowl with onion, apples and celery.
- Once sweet potatoes are boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer until tender, about [5-6 minutes]. Drain and place in large bowl along with the rice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour over the sweet potato and rice mixture. Gently toss.
- Place sweet potato side salad on a serving platter or individual plates. Ready to eat!