1hr 18min prep: 3min cook: 1hr 15min
Creamy, cheesy potatoes baked until tender and golden brown. Sometimes you just must indulge!
- Fresh Rosemary — 1 Tablespoon
- Russet or Baking Potatoes — 2 1⁄2 Pounds
Cheese & Lunchmeat
- Gruyere Cheese, Shredded — 1 3⁄4 Cups
- Parmesan Cheese, Grated — 1⁄4 Cup
Dairy & Eggs
- Butter, Unsalted — 1 Teaspoon
- Heavy Cream — 2⁄3 Cup
- Whole Milk — 1⁄3 Cup
Spice & Baking
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Aluminum Foil
- Plastic Wrap
- Baking Dish, 8″x8″
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Grater, Optional
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Microwave-Safe Bowl, Medium
- Mixing Bowl, Medium
- Pick leaves of rosemary off the stems and finely chop to measure the indicated amount. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/8-1/4 inch thick slices. Place in a microwave-safe bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Microwave the potatoes on high for 5-7 minutes until slightly tender. Strain any liquid from the potatoes after microwaving.
- Combine whole milk and heavy cream in the bowl with the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly butter a baking dish. Layer the potatoes on the bottom, overlapping them slightly. Cover with 1/3 the Gruyere cheese, 1/3 the Parmesan cheese and 1/3 the heavy cream mixture. Season the first layer with salt and pepper, then repeat with 2 more layers. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place the potato gratin in the preheated oven. Cook until potatoes are tender and pierce easily with a fork, and sauce is thick, about [20-25 minutes]. Remove foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Once the gratin is out of the oven, let it rest for about 5 minutes before cutting.
- Slice the gratin and transfer to dinner plates. Serve warm!