1hr 5min prep: 9min cook: 56min
This is an easy and healthy recipe. It’s great for parties too because you can build the tian in advance, then just pop it in the oven when guests arrive.Notes:
- Utilize any combination of your favorite root vegetables in this recipe. Try to buy vegetables that are similar in size so they cook evenly and layering the tian is easier. If your parsnips are significantly more narrow, just double up the tiny rounds.
- Baking Potato, Large (1)
- Garlic (1 Clove)
- Parsnips (2)
- Shallots (1/4 Cup)
- Sweet Potato, Large (1)
Cheese & Lunchmeat
- Parmesan Cheese, Grated (2 Tablespoons)
Dairy & Eggs
- Butter, Unsalted (1 Teaspoon)
Spice & Baking
- Black Pepper
- Dried Thyme Leaves (1 Teaspoon)
- Kosher Salt
Condiments, Oils & Dressings
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon)
- Aluminum Foil
- Stove Top
- Baking Dish, 9″x11″
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Spoons
- Slice a shallot into thin rings to measure the indicated amount.
- Smash the garlic under the side of your chef’s knife to remove the peel. Mince the garlic, then add to the shallots.
- Peel a sweet potato and slice into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- Peel parsnips and slice into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- NOTE: Potatoes will oxidize, or turn brown after peeled, so this step will come just before baking the tian.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9″x11″ baking dish with butter.
- Peel the potato and slice into 1/4 inch thick rounds.
- In the baking dish, arrange the potato, parsnip and sweet potato slices in a single layer, overlapping them as you go.
- Sprinkle the garlic, shallots and dried thyme evenly over the top. Crush the dried thyme between your fingertips as you sprinkle it over the veggies. Drizzle the top with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place the root vegetable tian in the preheated oven and bake for [25-30 minutes] until potatoes are starting to become tender. Remove foil and sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese over the top, then continue baking until cheese turns golden brown, about 5-7 more minutes.
- After you remove the tian from the oven, cover loosely with foil until ready to slice and serve.
- Slice the tian and transfer a portion to each dinner plate. Serve warm!